Got a buddy you just have to play Summer League with? You can! Whether it’s a bestie, crush, roommate, partner, or carpool buddy, you can pair up so both of you will be put on a team together. Just follow these steps:
- Get both players registered and paid (only “active” players can pair)
- Find your buddy on the Players list and select “invite to pair”
- Have your buddy accept the invitation to pair
All steps must be followed for the pair to count! For more information, check out this how-to pair guide.
Our Cobb County “Parks & Rec” Summer League is back for another year! Registration is now open to women & men. Players can sign up to play as a pair – just add to your notes during registration.
Sign up before May 18th!
Games will be Monday nights at 7:00 at Terrell Mill Park. Regular season roughly from June-July with a one-day end of season tournament in August. League fees include a team jersey and AFDC disc.
Interested in captaining? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get added.
*More league information here*
The application to be a part of The Color of Ultimate: ATL is now live!! We have about 15-20 spots on our roster still open at the moment, and we are hoping for the most talented players of color in ultimate to join us for this event! Read more about our mission with this event in our previous post.
All players who self-identify as a person of color are encouraged to apply by filling out this application. Spots will be offered on a rolling basis, so don’t wait! Players will know of their final status by May 18th. More information about the process and player experience is included in the application form.
We’re excited to announce the following players have already committed:
- Anraya Palmer (Atlanta Soul, Atlanta Ozone)
- Leah Tsinajinie (Atlanta Soul, Atlanta Ozone)
- Jin-Mi Matsunaga (Atlanta Soul, Atlanta Ozone)
- Shanye Crawford (Atlanta Soul, Atlanta Bucket)
- Manuela Cardenas (Medellin Revolution)
- Valeria Cardenas (Medellin Revolution)
- Elizabeth Mosquera (Medellin Revolution)
- Ximena Montana (Medellin Revolution)
- Matt Smith (Atlanta Hustle, Atlanta Chain Lightning)
- Kelvin Williams (Atlanta Hustle, Atlanta Chain Lightning)
- Anders Olsen (Atlanta Hustle, Atlanta Chain Lightning)
- Sun Choi (Atlanta Hustle, Atlanta Chain Lightning)
- Byron Liu (San Francisco Revolver)
- Christian Boxley (DC Breeze, Washington DC Truck Stop)
- Ben Feng (DC Breeze, Washington DC Truck Stop)
Summer League registration is LIVE and ends Tuesday (5/6)!
We still have 20 spots open for women to fill up the league, so help us spread the word. Women can sign up in pairs to be on teams together – just add that to your notes during registration. Players can also form co-ed pairs, but spots are full already for men, so make sure both players are registered.
Summer League is a 4/3 league, meaning 4 men and 3 women play on the field at a time. This format ensures women get lots of playing time and play an integral part in the game. New players are always welcome and captains or other players will help introduce you to this fun, exciting sport!
Summer League registration goes live tomorrow (5/1) at noon!
Spots will fill up FAST (for men) – make sure to log in and sign up as soon as possible. You may pair with another player, but only after both players have been registered individually. We will also have a wait list for players that sign up late in the event of drops prior to start of the leagues.
To help streamline the process, complete the following steps before registration opens:
- Make sure you have a leagues page profile – sign up here
- Update your gRank – in your leagues page profile, click the purple button
*More details on Summer League are available here*
Cobb County Monday Night Lights returns for 2019!
For the second year running, Cobb County Parks and AFDC are partnering together to bring you ultimate action on Monday nights.
We’re excited to work with our neighbors in Cobb to bring a high level of competition, dedication to ultimate, and Spirit of the Game to north Atlanta! We’ll be hosting player registration and teams, and they’ll help handle legwork and fields.
More details to come, but here’s our hopes…
- Registration opens in early May
- Costs below $50 / person
- Games at Terrell Mill on Monday nights (the lit softball outfields & new turf field)
- Season games from June – July
- End of season tournament in early August
- Team t-shirts & USAU-approved discs for all participants!
If you’re interested in captaining or volunteering in any way, please contact email@example.com to get connected!
AFDC’s newly created Diversity & Inclusion Committee, together with both the Atlanta Soul and the Atlanta Hustle, is proud to announce The Color of Ultimate: ATL, a showcase game celebrating ultimate’s most talented players of color.
The goal of the game is to raise awareness about the socioeconomic and racial inequity of the sport of ultimate. The showcase will highlight our game’s elite players of color and expose our sport to those outside of our community, encouraging more people of color to play ultimate.
The exhibition game, which will also be live-streamed by the Atlanta Hustle, will take place at 7:00pm on Saturday, June 22nd at St Pius X High School.
Please mark your calendars and save the date!
We will be using an open application process to fill out our rosters for the showcase game! Players of color who are interested in playing in the showcase keep an eye out for the application coming soon.
The AFDC Grants application for Summer 2019 is now open!
This year, AFDC Grants will be providing grants ranging from $25 to as much as $300 to help youth athletes attend fitness/skills camps or join leagues. Grants will be paid directly to the camp or league of each recipient’s choice and will be applied to admission/membership fees.
- Application deadline is Sunday, April 21, 2019
- Applicants to be notified by email by Sunday, April 28, 2019
Guidelines and eligibility
- Must be a youth player (in MS or HS, sorry no college applicants at this time)
- Must be a Georgia resident or attending a Georgia school
- Must use grant for an approved fitness/skills camp or league
- Financial need
- Passion for ultimate / service to community
- Athletic talent and potential
Required application materials
Online questionnaire to be completed by applicant: 2019 AFDC Grants Application
Captains! Assemble! If you’re thinking about putting together a Summer League team this year, here’s what you need to know:
There’s a reward for captaining!
Captains get HALF OFF summer league dues after you fulfill basic captain requirements such as building a legal team core and submitting on time, attending the captain’s party and league draft, promoting good spirit and reporting game scores.
Reach out early!
Email the commissioners (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get your core added to the list! Include the name of both captains & your team name. More information on core rules for 2019 can be found on the Summer League webpage.
Captaining is fun!
Build a core and pick who you want to play with! We’ve even put together some tips on being a good captain. Just remember, your core needs a female/male captain pair. If you’re interested in captaining, but don’t have a partner or need help filling out your core, reach out to us (email@example.com).
Cores due 4/25
Captains party will be ~5/17
The draft will be ~5/23
Another year of Summer League is almost here! Here are all the dates you need to add to your calendar:
- April 10th – Women’s registration opens
- May 1st – Men’s registration opens
- Regular season: Tues & Thur, May 28th – August 1st
- June 29/30 – Mid-Season Tournament (MST)
- August 3/4 – End of Season Tournament (EoST)
Women’s Tiered Registration
Like last year, women will have tiered registration to encourage early registration and help us ensure that there are enough women for the league. Ladies, you are very important. Sign up! Early registration starts soon!
- Phase 1: 4/10-4/16, $99
- Phase 2: 4/17-4/23, $105
- Phase 3: 4/24-5/7, $110
Register at: https://leagues.afdc.com/leagues
Men’s registration will begin 5/1 at noon and run through 5/7. The price will be $110. Open registration will fill up in less than an hour. Men, get on a core! If you are interested in forming a core or captaining a team, information to do so will be coming soon.
Update your profile BEFORE registration, especially if you’re trying to get into one of the free-agent male openings. Otherwise you’ll be prompted to enter your real date of birth, for insurance purposes, and re-do your GRank before you’re allowed to register. While you’re at it, make sure the email address associated with your registration account is one you monitor regularly so you don’t miss the first emails from your team!